Are you hosting a Barbie themed birthday party for your child? Maybe planning a Barbie work event or even a Barbie photo shoot? A Barbie Box Photo Booth is a great way to up your party game. It's also pretty DIY-able! Don't get me wrong, building a life-size Barbie Box out of wood requires some carpentry skills and tools, but WWJD? (Full disclosure; Jesus was a carpenter).I think Jesus would build that box!
Here's a basic guide to get you started:
*Accommodates up to 6'5 height
1. Plywood sheets: 4 ft x 8 ft, with a thickness of 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch (you may need two or more sheets depending on your design).
2. 2x4 lumber: 8 feet long (you may need 4 to 6 pieces depending on your design).
3. Screws or nails: 2 1/2 inch to 3-inch long wood screws or nails.
4. Wood glue: A standard wood adhesive that dries clear and provides a strong bond.
5. Circular saw or jigsaw: For cutting the plywood and lumber to size.
6. Sandpaper: 120 to 220 grit for smoothing the edges and surfaces.
7. Paint and paintbrushes: Acrylic or latex paint in your desired colors.
8. Craft supplies: Stickers, glitter, ribbons, etc., for additional decorations.
9. Cushions, blankets, and backdrops: Sized to fit the interior of the box.
1. Plan and Measure:
- Decide on the overall size of your Barbie Box to comfortably fit a person up to 6 feet tall. A common size is approximately 3 feet wide, 3 feet deep, and 6 feet tall.
- Cut the plywood sheets to the following dimensions:
- Two side panels: 3 feet (width) x 6 feet (height)
- Top panel: 3 feet (width) x 3 feet (depth)
- Back panel: 3 feet (width) x 6 feet (height)
- Cut the 2x4 lumber for the frame and supports:
- Four pieces for the vertical corners, each 6 feet long
- Four pieces for the horizontal frame, each 3 feet long
2. Assemble the Frame:
- Lay out the four vertical corner pieces to form a rectangular frame with the desired height and width.
- Attach the horizontal frame pieces to the top and bottom of the vertical corners using wood glue and screws or nails.
3. Attach the Plywood Panels:
- Once the frame is assembled, attach the plywood panels to create the sides, top, and back of the box.
- Use wood glue and screws or nails to fasten the plywood panels to the frame.
4. Decorate the Exterior:
- Sand the edges and surfaces of the wooden box to smooth out any rough spots.
- Paint the exterior using acrylic or latex paint in your chosen colors.
- Add any additional decorations like stickers, glitter, or ribbons to enhance the appearance.
5. Line the Interior:
- Add cushions, blankets, and backdrops inside the box to create a cozy photo area.
- Ensure there's enough space for a person up to 6 feet tall to comfortably sit or stand inside.
6. Personalize the Box:
- Add personalized touches like the person's name or favorite Barbie character to make the wooden Barbie Box unique.
7. Test and Adjust:
- Before using the box for a photo session, test its stability and make any necessary adjustments to ensure it's safe and secure.
8. Capture the Moments:
- Once the wooden Barbie Box is complete and safe to use, enjoy capturing magical moments.
Remember to wear appropriate safety gear and follow safety guidelines when working with tools and materials.
Also, if building this feels tedious, our friends at Pink Princess Nails travel to Jersey City, Union City, Hoboken, Weehawkin, and more. They provide tons of party themes that will take the stress out of planning and you receive a discount when you book one of our characters with their services!